If you guessed learned how to ride a bicycle then you guessed correctly! I’m sure you’ve already chuckled or even had a full ROTFL (rolling on the floor laughing) moment and that’s ok because guess what?! I am proud of this accomplishment! ☺☺
Never learning how to ride a bike has always been something I’ve been ashamed of and at times, felt like I was limited to only a certain type of physical activities. It’s disheartening when everyone else can do something and you can’t. So this year I was determined to learn! I didn’t know who was going to teach me or how I was going to learn but I set my mind on figuring out a way!
After much research my Sister found this association that provided classes on learning to ride. I signed up immediately. This past weekend was the moment of truth. I was extremely nervous the night before my class and the day of. Honestly, I almost backed out because I was scared of falling off or even not catching on at all. However, I have a determined personality and once I set my mind on something it’s really hard for me to not follow through. So with every inch of my bad nerves I mustered up the strength to attend the class. In approximately 1.5 hours (the class was 3 hours long) I was riding a bicycle! 👏👏👏 Can you imagine the pure excitement I felt after conquering this daunting task?! I was on Cloud 9. Now I am not going to say it was easy, because trust me it wasn’t, but after getting the hang of it I was a bicycle riding machine!!! ☺☺☺
Here is what I learned this past weekend….
- Never let your fear stop you from doing something that you’ve always wanted to do.
- If you fall, that’s ok. Dust yourself off and do it again. Keep doing it until you’ve mastered it.
- People will laugh at you. So what?! It’s your life, do what makes you happy!
- You are NEVER too old to learn something new. NEVER!
- Nothing is impossible! With the right mindset and a positive attitude you can do it. If you want it, GO GET IT!
- Life is too short to be scared of taking risks. There is no reward when there is no risk.
- Trust in your God given abilities. It may not be easy (physically or mentally) to do something that appears daunting BUT you can do it!
- Don’t talk yourself out of it, lol.
- Be proud of your accomplishment!
- LIVE. YOUR. LIFE. UNAPOLOGETICALLY!
If you live in the DMV and would like to learn for yourself you can visit the Washington Area Bicycle Association (click here) for information on classes. Trust me you’ll be glad you did it! ☺
Locs, Love, Life!